Saturday, May 14, 2011

Khrish Danam: Sales and Customer Service

“Failure is succeeding at the wrong things.”


Ok, so I had no idea who this guy was, but he turned out to be among the top three speakers at the conference, in my opinion. Turns out he was a protégé of Zig Ziglar’s and is some big-time record-breaking sales guy. Whatever. What he did have was a fascinating story and some pieces of truly insightful wisdom to share. Originally from India, he landed here with a new bride and $9 in his pocket. After one day in America he told his wife “I’m gonna make it here!” She said “How can you be sure?” To which he replied “These people think they have problems!” On the same topic he said that perhaps one of the reasons he was able to speak effectively of America’s greatness is that, having been on both sides, he “…knows where the grass is greener. Because there ain’t no grass on the other side!”


Perhaps my only quibble with his presentation is that he used a lot of quotes, some of them were his own, but a lot of them I recognized from other speakers, famous people, and historical figures. And he didn’t ever cite anyone! So, I’ve put any direct quote in quote marks, but be advised that a lot of them are probably not Khrish Danam originals, so don’t go around repeating them that way.



  • “Do not let your children walk around with a hole in their heart where your love should have been.”

  • “Your career is what you’re paid for, your purpose is what you’re made for”

  • “If you’re happy, tell your face.”

  • The only time in your life people will always say nice things about you is at your funeral, and by the time you get to that point there are only to comments left for you to make on your own life, “I’m glad I did” or “I wish I had.”

  • “If someone else has to tell you who you are, you ain’t.”

  • “How often should I tell my wife I love her?” “Before someone else does.”

  • “Do not stand on the chasms of despondency and stare at opportunities as they pass you by.”

  • “There are three kinds of people in this world, those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who are still asking “What Happened?”

  • “Do not raise your children in isolation.”

  • “There is a God. It ain’t me. It ain’t you either.”

  • “The heart was designed for adoration.”

  • “In trying to make a living, don’t forget to make a life.”

  • “If two people agree on everything, one of them is unnecessary.”
One of the things he said resonated with a feeling that I have had for a long time. “In the quest for perfect equality, all we have done is elevated mediocrity.” I personally believe that each further generation America produces loses further the drive to excel, to succeed, to strive for excellence. And I believe one the reasons this happens is because those who do succeed are punished, fined and taxed, and those who choose to do nothing, do not suffer.

He also talked a lot about attitude, and the power a cheerful, happy outlook has to make your life a much better place, as well as the people that you touch in your daily routine. “If you go out into this world looking like you have been weaned on a pickle, or like your driver’s license photo, no one is going to treat you like a glamour shot.” Instead, when someone asks you how you are doing, answer “I’m incredible…and I’m getting even better!” They might ask if you are telling the truth, to which you can reply “Of course it’s the truth, just a little bit in advance.” When you are in a conversation with someone, challenge yourself to get past frivolous, meaningless banalities, into the true meat of how they truly are, who they truly are, and what they truly think.

No comments:

Post a Comment