Friday, March 16, 2012

A Leap of Craftin' Faith

Normally I avoid crafty projects like the plague...I lack my sister Ann's knack with fabric and patterns...an almost mystical ability to see something in a store and envision how it would look in a room, or reupholstered on a chair.
However, out of sheer desperation and a dogged unwillingness to shell out more than $150 for pressboard crap at Walmart, I finally purchased a non-smoking chest of drawers off of Craigslist.  Gazing in dis-satisfaction at the extremely limited drawer lining options at Walmart, I called Ann. She told me about a friend of hers who had lined her new drawers with wrapping paper, and she told me some double-sided tape should do the trick.  Feeling cautiously optimistic I decided to take the leap.  I figured that even I could manage some wrapping paper and double-sided tape.  After all, I'm a pretty nifty gift-wrapper, having gained a decent proficiency in the art under Ann's tutelage in the last few years. The MUCH cuter selection of wrapping papers sealed the deal. It took me a few days to get to it, but here are the results of my new used $60 dresser (plus $3.50 for wrapping paper).



I would have done the whole thing in flowers, but since I will be sharing it with Richard I decided to defer to his masculinity. And just to put my desperation in perspective, I included the following image of my old chest of drawers.  Note the lack of nobs, which tended to result in early morning under-the-fingernail splinters.

No comments:

Post a Comment