Thursday, November 1, 2012

Smokey Joe's Cafe at Theo Ubique in Chicago!

Richard had to travel unexpected over the weekend, leaving me stuck with theatre tickets in Chicago. So my Mom hopped a train from St. Louis and joined me in Chicago and we went to see Smokey Joe's Cafe at Theatre Ubique on Thursday and Xanadu at Drury Lane Oakbrook on Friday. I was set for Xanadu, the touring Broadway show to be the unforgettable experience. However, it was merely amusing, an ok night of theatre. Smokey Joe's cafe was AMAZING!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS I LOVED IT!! Here is a copy of the review I submitted on ticketmaster
 
***I took my mother with me to the show as my husband had to travel unexpectedly for work. We were both surprised by the intimacy of the venue, such a small stage and Theatre! I was more familiar with the Chicago theatre scene, but I could tell my Mom was braced for a sub-par performance effort.  (Hilarious side note for blog readers...the shuttle from the parking lot pulled up along a small block of businesses in the Roger's Park neighborhood of Chicago and, pointing at a darkened doorway the driver said, "that's it, just through there." At which point Mom looks at me and says "I am NOT going down that dark alley!" It turned out to just be a small dark door, to an even smaller venue, but it was a hilarious start to the evening.)  From the first song the show BLEW US AWAY! Even myself, who based on critical reviews was expecting great things, was astonished at the talent Theo Ubique assembled for this show, under the direction of Brenda Didier. Perhaps most enjoyable was the absolute performance factor of every actor and musician. Small venues can often be intimidating for inexperienced actors, after all, you are performing and singing staring into people's eyeballs from two feet away at times. However, instead of turning inward to their performance, the stars on Theo Ubique's stage engaged with the audience, grinning at us through their solos, winking at my Mom in the steamy parts, and treating us like their oldest friends throughout. A special shout out to piano player extraordinaire Jeremy Ramey and his incredible music direction of the show.  He struck up a conversation with us from his piano stool a few feet away from our table, and proceeded with the evening like we were his specially invited guests. And our close up view as he proceeded to play some of the best piano I have ever seen live was a special privilege of the evening. We raved about the show to our waitress, to the people at the table next to us at dinner the next evening, and in general to anyone who would listen. Smokey Joe's is a MUST SEE event and Theo Ubique is a venue where season tickets are a BRILLIANT idea!***

I love discovering unexpected theatrical gems! Performers and performances that turn an 'amusing' night out into an unforgettable experience! I will be going back to Theo Ubique again and again!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    Jeremy here from Theo. Wow! I've received a lot of reviews in my career - this one makes me the proudest. I very much enjoyed meeting you and your mother - y'all were a hoot! Thanks for coming and glad you had a good time. I hope to see you at Theo soon!

    Best regards,
    Jeremy Ramey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Mom and I did have the time of my life. Jeremy is the most talented pianist I have ever heard and what a treat to meet and converse with him.

    ReplyDelete