Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fabulous New Fiction

Awhile ago while reading one of my friend’s blogs I noticed that she occasionally includes book recommendations. As an avid reader I am an active member of Goodreads.com, and read mostly YA fiction. Partly because I hope one day to publish a YA novel. Also because it seems these days that ‘Young Adult’ is being used as a universal label for any fiction that does not have graphic sex, lurid murders and/or disgusting language. So, I have just come across a couple of 5-star books, the first two books that I have read this year that felt worthy of a Blogmention!

The first one was a fantasy novel from my “Zombies-Apocalypse” shelf on goodreads.com. I put everything on this shelf that takes place in a future version of our current world. So books like The Maze Runner and Hunger Games are categorized here. Well, and also anything with Zombies in it, old-school or not “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” anyone? Anyway, the point is not to be afraid of checking out this shelf, because a lot of it reads almost like historical fiction, especially if our future apocalyptic world has reverted to an agrarian society. Lol. Anyway, I
was just recently blown away by Birthmarked, a debut novel by Caragh O’Brien. It tells the story of a 16 year old midwife, and a system of government by which the first 3 children she assists to be born each month are removed from their mothers (sometimes by force, sometimes willingly) and taken by The Enclave in a system of forced adoption.


The next book to make my Blogmention criteria (5 stars only), is the “The Reluctant Heiress” by Eva Ibbotsen. To quote the review I wrote on my Goodreads profile, this was oeirH

ne of the best love stories I've read in a long time! Written with a unique, quirky style and voice, skillfully crafted and satisfyingly sappy, this is a charming love story you won't want to miss! One of those unique romances where the fabulous essence of the character within both leading man and leading lady leaves you dying to take either one to lunch, and completely convinced that true love cannot help but follow them all of their days. It tells the classic story of a princess that no one knows is a princess, and yet manages to be completely fresh and unique! It is one of those vanishingly rare 'romances' that defies the romance genre by being enchantingly well-written and astonishingly imagined. And it left me wondering HOW is it POSSIBLE I have not READ Eva Ibbotson before now!! You cannot help but become gluttonous for more of her! I promptly went to the library and requested ALL of her books for young adults. (Only four more L) and expect to devour them within hours much like the first.

As with all of my five-star pics, only begin reading these books if staying up into the night is an option, and no urgent projects will remain neglected while you are enthralled in the world created by their authors.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the book recommendations. My friend referred me to your blog :) I am also aspiring to be a published author. Good luck in your journey! If you aren't part of the online writing community, you should jump in and join the fun. There's so much support out there.

    ReplyDelete