Friday, October 21, 2011

Day Twenty Seven: In Which Richard Exercises and I Consume Ben & Jerry's

Friday October 21st, 2011

Richard got up before dawn this morning and went for a run along the Thames with a camera. He started with pictures of Tower Bridge as he left our condominium complex (yes - it really does sit right next to tower bridge - St. Catherine's Docks) and ended with more Tower Bridge pictures. He got as far up the Thames as the London Bridge (at least taking pictures) and then came home. Yep-as in 'London Bridge is Falling Down.' That's the one!




 
Not very many weeks into our stay I have come to the conclusion that I am the kind of person who desperately needs routine to be productive with my time. I do really great at 'flying by the seat of my pants,' 'winging it' and living in 'crisis' mode. As long as I've got a good book to read and enough to keep me busy, I don't have to have routine-all is hunky dory-i don't fall to pieces. I manage frighteningly well. However, if I actually wish to achieve something, like-an up-to-date blog, productive working hours, or a healthy diet...routine appears to be essential. Routine, for me, is key. Establishing patterns that I don't break = success. When I can't establish patterns...I break down and buy fudge from the street vendor, don't log an hour of work in a month, and can't manage to even post pictures online. It's not even that I like routine. I kinda just gotta have it to function. I am always happiest and best (and productive!) when my days follow a predictable, repeatable pattern.

So, since 'routine' is probably not going to be a very common descriptor for my life, given my predilection for leaping into new and different experiences, I am going to have to get much better at learning how to establish it, and establish it quickly, in new places. But I still have a long ways to go!  Instead of always thinking...I will get to that tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a good day to go to bed early, get up on time, and work a few hours. Tomorrow I will stop eating all the pints of Ben and Jerry's we got on sale for 2 pound 50. Tomorrow...

I wonder if anyone has written a book on 'How to Establish a Routine in 5 Days or Less' or some such. 'Creating Routine in a Lifestyle that Doesn't Accommodate It.' Ideas anyone? There must be SOME expert advice somewhere! Please send ideas and book titles people! And DON'T message me a comment like 'just do it' or 'routine is important' or 'go to bed early.' I'll take any other ideas. Just not those. Those, I KNOW.

*6/14/2013 Editor's Note: Hmm, apparently this is advice I still need. Feel free to still comment on this journal entry from two years ago. Same problem, same questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment