Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My New Scripture Study Thoughts Blog

I have decided that an important element of my personal study of the scriptures and the words of the Prophets is the meta-thinking that happens when I write about what I am learning.  Therefore I am creating a new, additional blog for the purpose of recording my Scripture Study Thoughts!
As I write I seem to learn even more, a process that is described by Elder Richard G. Scott in his October 2009 General Conference Address “To AcquireSpiritual Guidance.”  You can read the whole talk at that link, but a short excerpt from his description of how he receives revelation is included below.

“As each impression came, I carefully wrote it down. In the process, I was given precious truths that I greatly needed in order to be a more effective servant of the Lord…I continued to write the feelings that flooded into my mind and heart as faithfully as possible. After each powerful impression was recorded, I pondered the feelings I had received to determine if I had accurately expressed them in writing…I believe that you can leave the most precious, personal direction of the Spirit unheard because you do not respond to, record, and apply the first promptings that come to you.”

I relate strongly to Elder Scott, perhaps because he frequently addresses exactly how to hear and understand the guidance of the Holy Spirit in your life, something that I am always anxious to learn how to do better.  And also because I feel that he, like me, finds great power in words, and in the process of writing. As a writer, this process of recording seems to be especially important and effective for me, perhaps because words hold such influence and meaning in my life.

In the address mentioned above, and when I have been privileged to hear him speak in person, Elder Scott consistently encourages individuals to write down  the promptings they receive from the Lord, that when we take the time to record our spiritual insights and promptings, often the Lord takes that opportunity to teach us even more.  And in recording them we are effectively telling the Lord that we are willing to receive even more knowledge and learning through the Holy Spirit.


Sometimes the knowledge, enlightenment, or understanding I gain from my personal study is too personal, or individual to be shared, and will remain in my digital journal.  However, often I believe that my thoughts and ideas are about challenges and struggles which are universal. So when they are not too personal, I have decided to share them via a new blog. Lately, I have been feeling more intently my baptismal covenant to “stand as a witness of God, at all times, and in all things and in all places…” (Mosiah 18:9) And Paul’s challenge to Christians worldwide “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation...” (Romans 1:16 ).  Sharing my insights and testimony of Christ on a blog is a way in which I am striving to be a better witness of Him, and a better example for my (future) children.


Originally, I had planned to just include these entries from my scripture study as part of my current blog (Chronicles), but if I succeed in writing daily entries, that creates 2 postings per day on many days, which is a bit overwhelming. However, I am reluctant to separate them completely, as the secular and religious aspects of my life are so intertwined. So, the solution I have come up with is to include a link to my SST Blog Entry for the day whenever I post in Chronicles.  For those fabulous readers who follow me, or have my blog as part of their google reader feed, you can just add the new blog to your feed, if this is the type of thing that interests you. 

The scriptures references I will include in the new Scripture Study Thoughts blog will usually be quoted from the KJV of the Holy Bible, and the Book of Mormon (you can order your own free copy from this link  “I would like a free Book of Mormon.”) I will also include quotes from the General Conferences of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which happen semi-annually in Oct and April in a world-wide broadcast. One of the tenets of the LDS (or Mormon) faith is that God has restored a Prophet and 12 Apostles on the earth today, the same as in biblical times. At these ‘General Conferences’ of the church, the Prophet and 12 Apostles of our time, address the current challenges of our world, giving advice and counsel to people worldwide.

Now, I just have to name the new blog! (Scripture Study Thoughts is taken!)

No comments:

Post a Comment