Sunday, February 5, 2012

Doing the right thing, at the right time, without delay

Elder Jose L. Alonzo, General Conference October 2011
“Do the right thing, at the right time, without delay”

I really found this thought inspiring, because I think that so often it is one of these three elements that I struggle with.   


Do The Right Thing
I find that often I do not want to do what is right, even though I know in my heart of hearts how I should change. For example, I know that I should apologize first when I pick a fight with my husband, and yet I still struggle to do so. I know that I should read my scriptures before my novel, and yet often it is the novel I pick up.



At The Right Time
Sometimes it is that I do not want to do the right thing at that time in my life, or at that time in my day. But usually when the spirit inspires you with an idea or an action, it has a very short life-span-it needs to happen quickly, immediately, in that moment. The friend needs to be called, the data needs to be backed up, your child needs to be checked on. And if you won’t do it, God must find someone who will. 


Without Delay
And then there are the times that I promise myself I will do it eventually, that I will get to it when I have a minute, or when I get a free evening, or when I am not quite so tired. Elder Alonzo made the point that perhaps we spend too much time planning and holding meetings and scheduling, and not enough time just go-and-doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment